Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Running in one place

As poets, writers and people of the Word, one of the most exhilirating moments we can achieve is to see our words in print. The publishing of a book, for me, is as much for the writer (if not more) as it is about the desire to share and make one's voice heard. Unless you are writing a best seller or something of high demand, one cannot get rich, or even comfortable off the sales of a book. This is more so with poetry.

I published two collections of poetry as the achievement of a dream, the reaching of a milestone that I spent over 10 years pursuing. I also discovered that the achievement of a dream is not always as it is dreamed. There was an anti-climax that has driven me into a rut I am still attempting crawl out of. The first thing that hit me was 'now what?!'. I have toyed with many an idea looking for that next hit, that next shot that would re-inspire me and still I search.

My next book is a year or two away, so I need something to nourish myself with something else. I still haven't found an answer but I am getting closer and that comes from re-defining myself and re-discovering why it is I write, or at least attempt to write, poetry. This desire to write is a desire beyond merely poetry and the next stage for me is about improvement and evolution as an all-round writer.

It is easier said than done. It means more work, hard work. Writing, like any other career, requires an unwavering devotion to perfection. Devotion to craft. Devotion to experience. Devotion to living life, which serves as the foundation for great writing.

Sometimes it feels like too much. Sometimes it seems fruitless. But, the desire to write is like a drug. I cannot stop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So often you post the answer to your question/dilemna. We all do, I suppose, as we thinks things out and process information and thoughts. I think it's also known as "searching"!

"Devotion to living life, which serves as the foundation for great writing."

Peace.................

Kojo Baffoe said...

It's just hard to identify the answer amidst the mental chaos. Probably why it is good to have a 'sounding board' of sorts. This space has become that, while I am also fortunate to have a few people in my life who i can whine to. usually, within the whining, they will point out that I already have the answer. Thought is easy; it is clarity that is less than forthcoming.

Easy