Tuesday, April 01, 2008

ramblings - dream on

I tend to recycle thoughts in these ramblings depending on where I am in the experience called life. Lately, I've been thinking about dreams a lot - not the ones that come to you when in sweet slumber but the ones that you set for yourself in waking moments. Is there is the 'end destination'? A moment when you will have achieved that ultimate dream? Or is it like the 'quest for zero defect', an ongoing process that is never finalised.



I often wonder what that day will be like. The one when I wake up and I am living my ultimate dream. One of the things that keeps us going is the goals and milestones we have. And every time we achieve one, we shift onto the next one. And then the next. With that in mind, I often question that 'ultimate dream'. There are planned steps along the way but these constantly change as I gain further knowledge. Things I always wanted to do are forgotten as others come about that seem a better fit. I try to keep focused on the end state that I dream of, and ensure that everything I do works towards that, but what if that isn't what I really want. Do I have to reach that point to recognise that?



Confusing, I know. I am sitting in a position where something I have contributed to has been realised and I am already looking beyond to what can be done next. There is no time to savour the moment and I find myself questioning this. Will this be the case with everything I do? When I released my first book, while excited about it, I was already thinking about my next one, and the one after that. Is it just me or is this normal?



We expend so much emotion, time and energy of things but, when we achieve them, we shift the goalposts and find something new to chase after. That seems like the way of the world.



When does it stop?

3 comments:

Animate-Me Dance Pro. said...

Kojo my man, it doesn't stop. It is the way of being human. For as long as you are still breathing, there is always another level to achieve. Keep dreaming yo.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kojo!

Hope you are well. I just came across your blog. Great stuff! I am writing to you because my partner and I are launching a website that will be populated with cross-cultural information about every country in the world. We will be looking to the web community to help do this with all the information being available for free. I was wondering if you and/or members from your community may be able to help us out with the Lesotho pages. We would love your input. Let me know if you would be open to this and I'll send along a brief questionnaire. Please also feel free to check out the website, become a member (it's free!) and add to the guide. We can also offer you a link to your blog from our Lesotho Travel Directory for a reciprocal link in return if you have interest.





Here is a link to the site: http://www.culturecrossing.net/





Thank you for your time!





Best,



Michael Landers
Director - Culture Crossing
Email: michael@culturecrossing.net
www.culturecrossing.net

Anonymous said...

Dreams are essential for our existance, but you are in control in terms of what you chose to pursue. Yes, we can achieve anything we want, as long as we can also accept the consequences or sacrifises that come with those dreams. We all need to determine what is 'enough', without seeing ourselves as failures. For some reason, I think I have become immune to such thoughts.I have come to realise that life is a journey. If I live it chasing one dream/goal/plan for every moment of my life, I suffer. Not just emotionally, spiritually, but physically. My body just shuts down. Maybe that is how I learned my enough. Now I try to avoid the shutdown, by slowing down, re-assessing my assumptions about my own dreams and goals, and just breathing in, and savouring the moment. Otherwise, nothing makes sense.

But then again, that's just me. It took my short working career to figure that out.I was watching Oprah lat night, as they were discuss this 'number 1 best seller' -Eat, Pray, Love. Forgot the author's name. Haven't read it yet, but I think I may not have to. I've learned to slow down, and appreciate what I have achieved, and plan my goals differently, taking into account what I may have to sacrifice. My family is not negotiable. Maybe I should write a book....