Friday, February 24, 2006

Just got home from a gig. If I take myself seriously, is it unreasonable to expect others to do the same? Have I spent the last seven years trying to build a concept, a brand, only to be treated like I am being done a favour? Is it unreasonable to expect to be treated like a professional or does being an 'artist' mean that I automatically exist at the bottom of society's food chain. Is it me? Arriving at a gig and discovering you are not even in the programme and staying to perform; am I the problem? Should I have left? Questions, questions, questions......

I have recently discovered
That I do not exist

A lifetime of laughter
Smothered

An existence extensively laced with experience
Wiped clean

Tears lived
Dried up

Blood running through arteries
Blocked

Why bother when it is a world that does not see me
That defines me

I have become the invisible man
Walking the streets without presence

I am no longer stopped
Restricted
Heard

I think
But I am not

I have become nothing

Free from responsibility
Free from duty
Free from being
Free

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i agree with mazungu but to be on the "list of the honoured" isnt just about how others see u, its also about them appreciating that u made an effort to be a part of their event. if it ddint matter, one would stay home where they are comfy and eat ice cream from a tub. Its just about common decency