Friday, February 17, 2006

When the words won't come

In my other life, I do business writing for a variety of clients in different industries. Right now, I have my hands full with work for TV production houses, which is nice, coz having been dormant for the last few months, I finally have work to do.

But the words won't come.....

Creative writer's block is easier to deal with. This is frustrating because I have deadines and invoices to submit. The irony is that, creatively, the mental pistons are beginning to pump. Now if I could get everything to function efficiently and effectively at the same time, I could build visions by merely breathing. I keep remembering the phrase "if it was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be called 'life'". Little consolation at the start of another long weekend.

Anyway, I will battle my way through it, like everything else. In the mean time, if you are in Joburg this weekend, come through to Xarra Books in Newtown for a Poetry Dialogue with the Italian Publishing house, Avagliano Publishing. They are looking to publish an anthology of young South African poets, to be translated in Italian.

The book will be accompanied by a DVD of the gathering tomorrow, which will include an informal poetry session.

It is great to see the interest in our poetry building beyond South African borders. Getting tired of being limited to our space and want to now grow into a global artists - hence this Blog and the Imperfect Poetry Blog which has started off well enough, I hope.

Come through if you around this space. Enjoy your weekend. Easy runnings.

2 comments:

Thami Mhlanga said...

Yo Kojo,
I know exactly what you mean "When words wont come",it is difficult though when you are a wordsmith cause your derive income from that,for me the best thing is just to sit and wait until words flood me I can afford to[cause Im a banker]...when we go chasing words in my very humble opinion "we become less of what we are as wordsmiths/poets".I love the word at times it's a burden from this word Im totally emancipated.....

Take it easy....may the word flood you
Thami

Kojo Baffoe said...

Thami, I believe that writing and creativity, while being innate abilities, are also a muscle. Like a sprinter who has to train to constantly improve, we too need to 'exercise' to improve our writing. Sometimes that means chasing the word. In terms of business writing, it tends to be harder and less entertaining / exciting.