Tuesday, September 20, 2005

poet's prayer - a work in progress

Verbal vomit, let me know what you think:
forgive me father
for i have sinned
it has been 23 days, 5 hours and 36 minutes
since my last poem

i have stared at the page so long
my eyes reflect their whiteness
and the world has lost its colour
the words bubble beneath my skin
scratch the insides of my pupils
but remain hidden from my pen

i have resigned myself to living through the words of others
but i am a poet
i seek the voices
they have gone silent
they have forsaken me
for that i accept blame

forgive me
forgive me
forgive me, father
for i have sinned
it has been 23 days 5 hours and 37 minutes
since my last poem
i no longer share my dreams with the page
i have forsaken her for a microphone and the stage
my poetry is spoken
and lately
i am breathless
which makes it hard to speak
and harder to write

the ink in my pen has clogged
my word has found comfort in the arms of others, and.....

for my discretion
for my misguided deception
for my feeble attempt to journey into realms
beyond purpose
please, forgive me, father
Okay, really liked it when i started .... not too sure now... have no idea where i am going with this.
The latest in poetic happenings in this part of the world:
Festival of Languages CELEBRATING DIVERSITY - School of Language and Literary Studies, UNISA, Pretoria - 28, 29, 30 September and 1 October 2005
The Festival is a three-day feast of drama, talks, interviews, poetry readings, sign language, DVDs, videos and performances. Highlights to include: the play, Tsafendas, Don Quixote - a ballet; Chinese Calligraphy; and performances, talks and the like from Jonty Driver, Mathews Phosa, Tony Links, Leon de Kock, Henning Pieterse, Finuala Dowling and others.
I will be performing on the 29th with Myesha Jenkins and Kabomo Vilakazi at 11am, so for those of you in the area, come by and support.
Will probably mumble something about this again, as we get closer to the time, but if you need more information or would like to book for any of the days (or all), then
Phone: 012 429 7604 or Email: roberlc@unisa.ac.za
Cost: R10 per day: R25 for the entire festival
Cheques paybable to Unisa: Language Festival
Should be an interesting experience, but we will see - will let you know how it went down after.
Easy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is beautiful. I think it is sad. And above all else, I think you are forgiven. You will find your voice when you no longer need to scream.
Peace................