Wednesday, November 23, 2005

hibernation

I have spent the last two months wallowing in a state of hibernation, reflecting on life, love and the purpose of breathing. Not necessarily the best state to exist in but it's been working for me. I believe everyone should have the odd moment of self-pity to put life into perspective and give one a ditch to crawl out of... if you don't fall, how are you going to get up? Twisted logic, I guess, but it helps me breathe.

I am now being dragged, reluctantly, back into society... I am performing at three different gigs over the next week, which should make for an interesting experience since, other than the scribblings I post here, I haven't been doing anything poetry-related and I haven't been on a stage since the beginning of August. Oh, the only performance I've done was on Channel O's O-Boma.

Anyway, this Saturday heralds the Blackword Poetry Festival at Constitution Hill in Johannesburg, which, as far as I am concerned, is probably the largest poetry festival attempted, with 20+ poets, emcees and bands, including Lebo Mashile, Afurakan, Flo, Kabomo, Napo Masheane, Ayob, Myesha Jenkins, Sabelo, Moemise Motsepe, Natalia and Kojo. Put together by the Lenaka boys, founders and publishers of B.Ko poetry journal, it should provide to be an awesome experience. It starts at about 10am, costs R30 and runs for the whole day so if you in the area, swing by.

I'm looking forward to it and maybe this is what I need to get back into society.

5 comments:

Catman said...

I'm from Spain and poet, imperfect also ;-), i invites you to visit my blog, is on spanish, but you can translate it easily woth a simple touch
happy to read you

Rethabile said...

Napo Masheane? The name really rings a bell. Ask Napo if he knows me, or if he knows Mbera. If it's who I think it is, I'll be damned.

Kojo Baffoe said...

Will check it out catman & thanks for the sharing.

Rethabile, Napo Masheane is from Qwaqwa. She's performed quite a bit in the US and Germany. Feela, ke tla mo butsa.

Ha e be khotso

Rethabile said...

Ah, the one I know is a he, so it musn't be the same person.

Data Cabling Parma said...

Thanks greaat blog