Tuesday, October 11, 2005

let love rule ....

Been getting lazy with my posts, primarily because I am been going through a bit of a writer's drought ... not blocked, just running dry. Finding the balance between being an artist and 'hustling' to make a living leaves me drained. There is a balance. There is a way of existing in the creative and corporate worlds. There is, and I continue to search for it. Decided to try my luck in the National Novel Writing Month initiative as a way of getting out of my comfort zone. How often do we procrastinate on what is achieveable?

The problem with my plans is not the plans but the fact that I never get off my butt to implement them. A lifetime of 'what ifs' is a life unlived ... is that where I want to be? I think not.

Anyway, when in doubt, I have always found solace in poetry. When I struggle to write, I read what others have written and/or read what I have previously written. My muse is the woman i share my life with, and I found this poem the other day that she inspired.... would like to share.

she inhales my passion with every breath
and dampens the fires momentarily
she licks the pain from my eyelids
and blows passion back into my soul
as she travels the contours of my spirit
igniting pleasure with each twist of her tongue

the power of pleasure is etched
into the palms of her hands
nestled within a heavenly paradise
that only she possesses

in her presence, we rise, are drained, and rise once more
reaching heights unnatural in their fury

to be or not to be is not the question
to feel is the answer to our existence

and

i could drown in her fingertips daily
i could drown in her belly-button daily
i could drown in her expanding pupils daily
i could drown in the space between her heartbeat daily
i could drown in the corners of her mouth daily
i could drown in the vibrations of her voice daily
i could drown in her every breathing pore daily
i could
i would
and i do
for we have found a space
that could only be defined as ours
and she is the waters
that quench my thirst endlessly

This was performed as part of a poetic theatrical show called 'Seven - The Street have Lips', featuring seven Johannesburg poets: Kabomo Vilakazi, Ayob Vania, Common Man, Mak Manaka, Afurakan, Flo and myself. We pulled a lady from the audience and performed a 10 minute love poem, incorporating stanzas from all, that had her blushing. Was awesome. Met her a few weeks ago and she still remembered the poem, down to specific lines from various poets. Reminder of why I so love the word.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

' I read what others have written and/or read what I have previously written.'

Yes, always good to constantly read and review our own works as well as read as much other material.

Anonymous said...

Love the way you write about your wife, thats what love is meant to sound like.Good luck